Open Farm Day is your chance to visit, meet and support local and regional farming businesses.
This year Open Farm Day is bigger than ever with farms from Nillumbik, Whittlesea and the Kinglake Ranges opening their gates to showcase farming on the fringe.
A diverse mix of farms is found in the area including fruit and veggie farms, livestock and animal farms, orchards and vineyards. Choose the farms you want to visit to make your own Open Farm Day trail and experience farm tours, demonstrations, farm animals, product tastings and more.
Date: Sunday 2 April Time: 10am-4pm Venues: Details to come, call Annemaree Docking on 0407 564 318.
This week, the release of the new RHDV1 K5 virus will be rolled out at 700 sites across the country. You can find all you need to know about the history, release and monitoring of the virus here, but these are some key summary points:
- The release of this virus has been a decade in the making and studies have shown no off-target impacts to other fauna species.
- Both European Rabbits and European Brown Hares are susceptible.
- The virus is delivered by baiting with individuals displaying flu-like symptoms (temperature and lethargy) within 2-3 days of consumption. Death occurs quickly, between 6 and 12 hours after symptoms are first displayed.
- While domestic and farmed rabbits are susceptible to this strain, a vaccine is available and owners should make contact with their local vet for more information.
- Previous studies have shown that a reduction in rabbit numbers can result in a simultaneous reduction in fox and feral cat numbers. Good news for our local native wildlife!
Our next exciting Agribusiness workshop will be ‘Managing for Success’ – Building your Agricultural Enterprise for Profit. A fantastic opportunity to work ‘on’ your business, not just ‘in’ your business. And remember, you can also get further one on one Small Business Mentoring through Council’s Jobs and Investment program, so why not come along for an introduction to the possibilities and for some ideas on how to increase your profitability and potential. For more information and to RSVP, click below.