The Fast Break e-newsletter, produced by Agriculture Victoria (AgVic), details monthly climate driver activity and provides a three-month summary prediction of rainfall and temperature for Victoria.
Read the latest Fast Break Newsletter for Victoria and subscribe to receive it direct to your inbox, HERE.
Dale Grey, seasonal risk agronomist with the AgVic Grains team based in Bendigo has been working in the industry for two decades and produces the Fast Break newsletter. You can watch Dale in action discussing climate and seasonal outlooks for Victoria by subscribing to the Very Fast Break YouTube channel.
The Upper Goulburn Landcare Network are running a subsidised Farm Chemical Users Course in February. The course runs over two Sundays and includes a 1080 endorsement. For course details see flier below.
BetterBeef and BestWool/BestLamb
You’re invited to an evening Phone Seminar on Changes to the Livestock Production Assurance program (LPA) – keeping it simple
Listen to the experts and ask questions from the comfort of your home
What the phone seminar is about:
- What is the Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) program?
- what the current requirements are
- why the changes were introduced, and
- what you need to know when your LPA accreditation is up for renewal.
Speakers will present in a simple and practical manner the background to the program and some examples of what some farmers are doing to address biosecurity risks for their farms. Join us, from the comfort of your home or wherever you are, to hear from and question industry experts and farmers so that you are well prepared.
- Integrity Systems, Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA)
- Catherine James, Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF)
- Tim Leeming, Victorian producer
- Alison Gunn – Victorian producer and vet
When: Tuesday, 28th November
Where: On your phone Time: 8.00pm-9.00pm AEDT Cost: Free (call costs may apply)
Registration is free. To participate you will need to register to receive the phone-in details and any notes. Register online at: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/phone-seminar-on-changes-to-the-livestock-production-assurance-lpa-program-tickets-39820823154
Registrations close Sunday 26 November If you are unable to register online or have further questions please call Jane Court, Agriculture Victoria, on: (03) 54304597 or 0427 200451
This Saturday 25 November: Weed Control Networking Day
Hosted by the cities of Hume and Whittlesea and Mitchell Shire Council, the line-up includes presentations from:
- Victorian Serrated Tussock Working Party
- Victorian Gorse Taskforce
- Dabyminga Blackberry Taskforce
- Tim Bloomfield: Pest Plant and Pest Animal Interactions
- Pat Connor: Weed Seed Spread and Precautions (including a vehicle hygiene demonstration over lunch)
- Whittlesea and Surrounds Blackberry Action Group
- Melbourne Water on Landholder Assistance Programs
The event will be facilitated by Terry Hubbard of the Strath Creek Landcare Group, Upper Goulburn, Victorian and National Landcare Networks and 2017 recipient of the Joan Kirner Landcare Award.
There’ll be a FREE sausage sizzle of gourmet Aroona sausages (100% grass-fed, preservative free beef) cooked by the Wandong Heathcote Junction Community Group.
So don’t miss out! Grab your ticket today using the following link:
There’s something for everyone! See below link to four upcoming events in July/ August.
Sunday 30 July- National Tree Day: A great day out for the whole family to celebrate National Tree Day. Click here for more details.
Sunday 6 August- FREE Pest Animal Control Workshop: Hosted by the Friends of Toorourrong, join as at Toorourrong Reservoir Park to learn more about the impacts and management of feral animals. Click here for more information and details to register.
Tuesday 15 August- Eden Park Bushfire Mitigation Plan: A Stakeholder Engagement Workshop to help shape the Plan by building upon local knowledge, click here for more information and details on how to register your interest.
Saturday 26 August- The Annual Agribusiness Dinner. An event not to be missed, click on the below Eventbrite link to purchase your ticket or click here for the flyer.
Eventbrite: Agribusiness Dinner
Open Farm Day is your chance to visit, meet and support local and regional farming businesses.
This year Open Farm Day is bigger than ever with farms from Nillumbik, Whittlesea and the Kinglake Ranges opening their gates to showcase farming on the fringe.
A diverse mix of farms is found in the area including fruit and veggie farms, livestock and animal farms, orchards and vineyards. Choose the farms you want to visit to make your own Open Farm Day trail and experience farm tours, demonstrations, farm animals, product tastings and more.
Date: Sunday 2 April Time: 10am-4pm Venues: Details to come, call Annemaree Docking on 0407 564 318.
This week, the release of the new RHDV1 K5 virus will be rolled out at 700 sites across the country. You can find all you need to know about the history, release and monitoring of the virus here, but these are some key summary points:
- The release of this virus has been a decade in the making and studies have shown no off-target impacts to other fauna species.
- Both European Rabbits and European Brown Hares are susceptible.
- The virus is delivered by baiting with individuals displaying flu-like symptoms (temperature and lethargy) within 2-3 days of consumption. Death occurs quickly, between 6 and 12 hours after symptoms are first displayed.
- While domestic and farmed rabbits are susceptible to this strain, a vaccine is available and owners should make contact with their local vet for more information.
- Previous studies have shown that a reduction in rabbit numbers can result in a simultaneous reduction in fox and feral cat numbers. Good news for our local native wildlife!
Our next exciting Agribusiness workshop will be ‘Managing for Success’ – Building your Agricultural Enterprise for Profit. A fantastic opportunity to work ‘on’ your business, not just ‘in’ your business. And remember, you can also get further one on one Small Business Mentoring through Council’s Jobs and Investment program, so why not come along for an introduction to the possibilities and for some ideas on how to increase your profitability and potential. For more information and to RSVP, click below.