Is your property greater than two hectares and zoned for rural land use ?
If yes, then you are eligible to apply for Council’s Environmental Works Grant Program 2017.
The Environmental Works Grant Program (EWGP) provides a financial incentive to rural landowners to protect and enhance Whittlesea’s unique biodiversity. The Program offers grants of up to $1500 for fencing projects which permanently protect remnant vegetation from livestock, fencing and planting around farm dams, installation of nest boxes and revegetation projects including shelterbelt establishment and environmental weed control within remnant vegetation.
What are our priorities
We will give priority to:
- projects that will protect and enhance Whittlesea’s locally native vegetation on private land, especially in areas identified as having significant habitat values as nominated in the NEROC Report: Sites of Habitat and Faunal Significance in North East Melbourne. (Contact us on 9217 2471 for further advice)
- properties identified as being part of a habitat link as nominated in the NEROC Report where revegetation can link or strengthen habitat corridors
- properties that can display an ongoing commitment to good land management practices
A maximum of $1500 is available for a property which could include one of the following:
- $1500 – for projects that protect remnant indigenous vegetation through erecting fencing to permanently exclude stock, including around dams
- $1000 – for revegetation or fencing around revegetation and
- $500 – for environmental weed control within good quality remnant vegetation
We provide funding on a dollar-for-dollar basis so applicants must contribute equivalent funds, labour and/or materials to the amount they seek from us.
How to apply
Applications must be made by completing an online application form- click here. All applications will be assessed on the degree to which they meet the eligibility criteria and assessment priorities with inspections being undertaken of potential projects.
The 2018 round of the Program will be open for applications from 1 September 2017 – 30 November 2017